Friday, October 23, 2015

Rainy Day Blues


            After weeks without rain, you'd think the first good downpour would come as a relief.  No more burn ban, no more fall foliage drying and curling up like paper in a fire.  But as is common these days, there is a brooding, almost bitchy cast over my thoughts which really doesn't have much grounding except for feeling big, fat, pregnant, and tired. 

            My blessings outnumber the raindrops outside, yet I can't seem to shake the frustration and anger that comes with the domestic rut.  I cook, clean, wash, repeat.  Almost always the same, and even though I DID sign up for that, there's still a strong urge to escape. 

            None of this is my husband's fault, as he's in the middle of his own rut of work-sleep-repeat, usually with a shower or meal thrown in if he's lucky.  Being on-call 24/7 makes good money, but it certainly does throw a monkey wrench into the semblance of a normal life we try to maintain.  Now that I think of it, I've never been the kind of person to be truly happy with a 9-5 life, though.  I crave spontaneity and change as much as I've been craving homemade brownies. 

            So what's the ultimate solution for the housewife rainy-day rut?  I don't think there is one, and if there was, I doubt it would work for all of us.  What excites and engages me could very well bore someone else to tears, and vice versa.  Keeping up with current events, blogging, reading, studying, crafting, exercising, all of these give us Susie Homemakers a mental reprieve from the mundane.  And if you don't think a mental break is that important to a housewife, try taking it away from her.  You'll see The Beast before too long. 

            I've had people imply over the past few months that I shouldn't be taking on too much outside activity, that I should instead concentrate on getting ready for the baby.  But a girl can only bury herself in bottles, blankies, diapers, potty training, and housework for so long before something snaps.  Yes, I'm excited about the new addition to the family, but it isn't the only thing going on with me right now.  Actually, it would be freaking great to talk about something other than babies and pregnancy for a little while. 

            So today, while my wonderful mother whisks my 2-year-old off for a couple hours and my husband sleeps before work tonight, Mama is going to focus on doing things that make her feel rested and happy.  Screw housework.  Yes, I said it! 

            Because, as they say, if Mama ain't happy, nobody's happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment